With 20 million Botox ® injections (registered name of botulinum toxin), this aesthetic medicine procedure, has established itself worldwide as an effective and efficient treatment of expression lines as part of the signs of aging of the face.
But botulinum toxin has also other more specific indications, such as profile reshaping. In medical rhinoplasty, Botox nose injection differs from hyaluronic acid with very specific indications for non surgical rhinoplasty.
How does Botox work on the nose?
Identified as early as 1946, botulinum neurotoxin A was first used in ophthalmology (strabismus) in the 1970s before receiving approval in 2002 to be used in anti-aging aesthetic medicine.
Botulinum neurotoxin: definition
It is a toxin known as neurotropic that paralyzes muscle fibers by relaxing them: we talk about myo-relaxing action, also known as flaccid paralysis.
When a nerve fiber stimulates a muscle to contract, the signal is transmitted through the motor plate (neuromuscular synapse). It involves acetylcholine, a neuromediator.
The Botox toxin is deposited on the acetylcholine receptors and blocks them: the acetylcholine can no longer interact and is eventually resorbed. Without a neuromediator, the muscle no longer has order to contract and it relaxes, becoming flaccid.
On which nasal muscles does a botulinum toxin injection act?
- Botox acts on all striated muscles, allowing it to block the contraction of all the nasal muscles, essentially three of them.
- The procerus muscle or nasal pyramidal muscle is an odd muscle ending in two branches, between the nasal base and the glabella (head of the eyebrows). It contributes to the expression of emotions by lowering the eyebrows.
- The nasal wing or nasal septum depressor or myrtiform muscle (M. depressor nasi septi), closes both nostrils (columella) and lowers the nasal tip downwards.
- The common nasolabial lift muscle (nasolabial elevator muscle or nasolabial wing and upper lip elevator muscle) follows each nasal wing from the forehead, ending with two branches on the cartilage of the nasal wing and upper lip. It raises the nasal wing and the upper lip opening the smile.
Indications: when should you do a non surgical nose job?
Botulinum toxin injection for the nose has for principal indications to change the contours of a nose "too long" or to remove nasal wrinkles.
Botox injection on the nose : non surgical rhinoplasty
As a non surgical rhinoplasty, botulinum toxin only works on a nasal appendage that is "too long", if the nasal tip is lowered downwards, especially when smiling, following the hyper contraction of the nasal wing.
Botulinum toxin injection nose: erase wrinkles
Botox® injection on the nose helps to erase dynamic nasal wrinkles:
- Lateral nasal wrinkles known as "bunny lines" are characterized by a wrinkled skin when smiling, like rabbits. They result from hypercontraction of the nasolabial lift muscle and can appear very early (20 years).
- Horizontal nasal wrinkles fold the skin under the eyebrows, at the root of the nose, and promote aging of the eyes. They are related to the excessive contraction of the nasal pyramid.
Follow a nose Botox injection session.
The injection session takes place in a medical block at Clinique des Champs Elysées New York. The doctor may suggest an anesthetic cream for more comfort, to be applied 30 to 60 minutes beforehand.
This injection is very meticulous: your aesthetic doctor must make sure that one of the three muscles involved is perfectly targeted. The procedure is performed in about 15/20 minutes.
Botox® nose injection results
The result is not immediate but takes five to ten days, to a total of six months. To erase nasal wrinkles, the result is usually perfect, with a rejuvenated and smooth nose.
As for the non surgical rhinoplasty, botulinum toxin lifts the tip of the nose with good result. However, it remains unpredictable, as it depends on the contraction force of the depressor.
The cost for Botox injection for the nose
A consultation with our aesthetic medicine will help you define your goals and the number of units needed to achieve your perfect nose shape.
NEW CLIENT ?
Don't miss your chance to get your
FREE CONSULTATION + GET 20% OFF your first service